Utah Wrimos
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 15, 2018, 04:01:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
UtahWrimos.net open for business! Welcome to our unofficial home.
731 Posts in 103 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Juniper_1951
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Utah Wrimos
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Utah's Unofficial NaNoWriMo Forums
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Utah's Unofficial NaNoWriMo Forums  (Read 23840 times)
utoxin
Utah :: Springville

Yes, I'm Crazy

View Profile My Blog
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »

Welcome to the completely unofficial NaNoWriMo forums for Utah. We're setting these up because we're unhappy with the capabilities of the official forums, and we want more control over the presentation and features we have access to.

Links to these forums will be placed in the official forums once they're back online. You're free to post there if you want. The MLs will continue to monitor them as well, but we encourage you to use these forums.
magicalbookworm
Utah :: Cache Valley

View Profile C. M. Clark
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:26:44 pm »

I do like the idea of a forum just for ourselfs.
The utah forum i set up last year seems to have died :( There's 44 memebers there and no on posting! argh!

Maybe I should email everyone this forums link?

So hopefully this forum will have better luck!

Question: should there be genre sections?
magicalbookworm

View Profile C. M. Clark
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:33:04 pm »

Oh! question

How does the word count work? Does it just give a set goal of 50K or can we change it to make the goal higher ;)
utoxin

Yes, I'm Crazy

View Profile My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:49:51 pm »

Oh! question

How does the word count work? Does it just give a set goal of 50K or can we change it to make the goal higher ;)

You can put any number you want in there. It doesn't do anything other than store it. :)
utoxin

Yes, I'm Crazy

View Profile My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 12:52:22 pm »

I do like the idea of a forum just for ourselfs.
The utah forum i set up last year seems to have died :( There's 44 memebers there and no on posting! argh!

Maybe I should email everyone this forums link?

So hopefully this forum will have better luck!

Question: should there be genre sections?

Please do let people know about this. I hope it'll take off well, and get pretty active. I have some plans for creating a logo for us, and selling shirts on Cafe Press to raise money for Nanowrimo.

Also, I'm willing to create whatever forum sections people want. I don't think we should make them too big initially though... it might be a little intimidating until we get a little larger.
magicalbookworm

View Profile C. M. Clark
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:43:57 pm »

I do hope one of the forums we start works. didn't that one where i drew a monkey at type writer die pretty fast also?
beth
Utah :: Salt Lake City

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 05:51:51 pm »

So this is where the action is, eh? As long as there's a word war and I get to stomp all over elsewhere, it's all good for me.

The monkeys forum--Chris, who was hosting it, ran into some technical problems, and we just never got it going again. Keeping people involved and posting is kind of an art form. Good luck with this one, y'all.
magicalbookworm

View Profile C. M. Clark
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 07:09:21 pm »

I agree, keeping everyone posting is an art form!
mr_nyuckles
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 11:15:08 pm »

Keeping everyone writing is an artform as well, I would imagine.  ;D
Havoc

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 03:36:28 pm »

I missed the old Monkey forum, so it's nice to have this going.
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
daggerfang

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 07:09:15 pm »

Yeah, I miss the old monkey forum as well. I remember when it went down I kept checking it every now and then for awhile before just giving up.
Brainy
Utah :: Ogden

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 02:11:09 pm »

I agree, keeping everyone posting is an art form!

Well, I'm no expert, but wouldn't it be easier to keep people interested if there was something that this site had to offer other than just Nanowrimo?  I mean, come on.  How many people can spend a whole year talking about one month the whole time?  It would be much easier if preparation for November were kept in the form of a game, then people would be interested, and it wouldn't be hard to convince people that they should stay active even outside of the time frame of Nanowrimo. 

What could we possibly offer that would keep people interested for that long, and still help get ready for nanowrimo?  Well...  I was sort of thinking that I would suggest Text based rpg's.  if you have no idea what I'm talking about, then look it up at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_text-based_role-playing_game and it tells about it, but basically it's a writing game.  Each person has their own MC, and they have a basic plot line that establishes the premise of the story, and then, they write a story.  You play the game by trying, through writing, to bring your character towards whatever goal has been established by the plotline.  Character interaction and psychology is high, and it gives people a lot of practice understanding how to establish motives and how to keep a realistic, detailed storyline.  And, on top of all those things, it's really fun!  ...  OK, I thought it sounded fun...  but yeah, an idea that could work...
magicalbookworm

View Profile C. M. Clark
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 05:13:07 pm »

I've never played any RPG's. Still don't really understand them.
The forum i set up last year had genre break downs, but still not that many people posted.

I did set up a fun forum for a group to create our own fantasy world. :D That was fun!
Brainy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 06:39:05 pm »

I've never played any RPG's. Still don't really understand them.
The forum i set up last year had genre break downs, but still not that many people posted.

I did set up a fun forum for a group to create our own fantasy world. :D That was fun!

well, there you go!  that's basically what a rpg is.  It's a fantasy world where you write a story and the mc is basically you as far as the story goes.  the only real stipulation is that usually there is a world established, and you live there to try to accomplish a pre-determined goal.  It's really quite fun and rewarding if done properly.  Hmm... You know what, I'll be back in just a second with a link to a good example of a text based morpg from another forum in case anyone is curious about what it looks like.
Brainy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Here we go.  Took a little longer than expected.  This is actually the first RP that I had ever signed up for, but it's a good indicator of what a RP should be, and in the end, I think is what made me so excited about it in the first place. 

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57205

It's only two pages long, and on the second page in the last post is a link to the actual RP.  My Sign Up is on the second page, bet you can't guess which is me!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »