Utah Wrimos
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2018, 05:19:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
UtahWrimos.net open for business! Welcome to our unofficial home.
731 Posts in 103 Topics by 97 Members
Latest Member: Juniper_1951
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Utah Wrimos
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Utah's Unofficial NaNoWriMo Forums
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Utah's Unofficial NaNoWriMo Forums  (Read 23366 times)
mr_nyuckles
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:11:07 pm »

I'm sorry. This idea does not interest me and I won't be a participant. As for others, I don't want to put you off. I'm just saying that this doesn't look like something I can get into.

Having played D&D for more than ten years, and experimenting with such other RPs as Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy and Iron Kingdoms, as well as Star Wars: The Roleplaying game, I feel that text based roleplays are inferior to being able to sit around a table with your buddies and throw dice around and tell a meaningful story.

I looked over the characters, and my gut instinct tells me that they are trying to be edgy, headstrong characters that may or may not work well together. I'll keep checking  in, but as I said, and this particular time, I won't join your roleplay.
Brainy
Utah :: Ogden

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 08:26:58 pm »

I'm sorry. This idea does not interest me and I won't be a participant. As for others, I don't want to put you off. I'm just saying that this doesn't look like something I can get into.

Having played D&D for more than ten years, and experimenting with such other RPs as Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy and Iron Kingdoms, as well as Star Wars: The Roleplaying game, I feel that text based roleplays are inferior to being able to sit around a table with your buddies and throw dice around and tell a meaningful story.

I looked over the characters, and my gut instinct tells me that they are trying to be edgy, headstrong characters that may or may not work well together. I'll keep checking  in, but as I said, and this particular time, I won't join your roleplay.

Oh!, I'm sorry, I think perhaps I was not clear.  I understand that it is a very different experience from tabletop battle games.  I have a brother who has invested a couple thousand in warhammer 40k.  the link I gave was merely for an example so that people who did not know what they were could see, well, what they are.  this particular RP that I have linked to is long since dead.  nobody could sign up for it even if they wanted.  I am not saying that I am right now trying to set up a RP, I am merely suggesting the idea as a method of turning writing into a game that we can play even outside of the time frame of nanowrimo. 

I personally dislike ttb games.  the experience doesn't seem real enough to me, but whatever floats your boat.  Also, just for clarity, this link is only to 1 RP.  There are endless different plots and fandoms to choose from, so the story could possibly be a problem.  in fact, there are lots of RP's that I would not participate in simply because they are from a fandom that I have never associated with and wouldn't have the time to look up if I did for some reason feel like trying to play.  I actually prefer plots that are made from scratch, rather than fandoms such as pokemon or naruto, because they require so much prior knowledge that only someone involved in that avenue could participate, which means some people would be excluded because they were ignorant.  Plots that require no prior knowledge, such as the one that I have linked to, are the easiest to play with because everyone starts on the same level. 

... uh, this is pointless.  I guess what I'm saying is... uh, there are a lot of fandoms, and a d&d, or warhammer RP could be put together just as easily as something from scratch like the one Tides of War RP that I linked to.  yeah, that about sums it up.
mr_nyuckles
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »

Sorry. Didn't know what you were doing... I apologize.
mr_nyuckles
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 07:14:15 pm »

The good thing about this forum is that it won't be as bogged down as the official one, so we can still chat relatively easily. We could just use the official one for word count and submitting the final novel.
magicalbookworm
Utah :: Cache Valley

View Profile C. M. Clark
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 10:20:53 pm »

Interesting. I think it would be very werid to do something like that ... write as if the
"mc is basically you as far as the story goes"... it would thrown me out of any other novels i write. yikes.

I've been thinking of setting up a sci fi world building group. maybe after nano :)
utoxin
Utah :: Springville

Yes, I'm Crazy

View Profile My Blog
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 08:26:44 am »

I've been thinking of setting up a sci fi world building group. maybe after nano :)

I'd be up for that! I have lots of details I need to flesh out for my worlds. :)
magicalbookworm

View Profile C. M. Clark
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 06:38:47 pm »

I'd be up for that! I have lots of details I need to flesh out for my worlds. :)

It should be interesting to try at least. If I did set up a group it would be bringing in everything that is fresh and new and hasn't been used in anyone elses work before though
mr_nyuckles
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 10:36:32 am »

Ahh the first day of November, and the NaNo site is not loading, and when it does... it's not as it should be. Good times, good times!
lonelytourist
Utah :: American Fork

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 06:14:03 pm »

How's this for fun:

After planning for a month to scrap everything from my Nano last year and starting over, after doing a bit of research and being ready to go....

I've decided to write a zombie novel instead.

At least there's a lot of... er... food for scenes.
toshirodragon

View Profile It's ALL About ME!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 02:35:33 pm »

How's this for fun:

After planning for a month to scrap everything from my Nano last year and starting over, after doing a bit of research and being ready to go....

At least there's a lot of... er... food for scenes.

The thing about your zombie novel when weighed against my medieval period blacksmith story is the research for yours is juicier but you you dont have to worry about someone saying "That didnt exist in that time period!" or "They didnt do things that way" And if someone DOES say Zombies dont behave like that you can sit back, smile and say "Prove it, Sherlock"  ;D

Good luck!
There is no Devil, It's only God when he's drunk - Tom Waits
Havoc

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 07:55:49 pm »

I can relate. After 2000 words, I realized that I hated my storyline and started over on a new novel, with no planning. Weeee.
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
utoxin
Utah :: Springville

Yes, I'm Crazy

View Profile My Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 09:41:08 pm »

A plan? A story line? What's that? I'm making this /all/ up as I go! I was even wrong about it being a series of short stories. :)
caveats

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2008, 10:04:11 am »

Glad to see there's an alternative to the official forums. The Nano site drives me insane in its first week, so I didn't even bother trying to log on until yesterday - it was still too slow!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »